Saturday, October 13, 2018

Create Space is Being Merged Into Kindle Direct Publishing

I saw this coming when CreateSpace announced it was discontinuing editing, design, and marketing services to its customers. Soon afterwards Kindle Direct Publishing began offering POD services. I didn't switch at the time as some authors did. I wanted to see how KDP worked the kinks out first.

Last month I received an e-mail informing me I needed to move my CreateSpace books over to KDP. Amazon made the decision for me. It wasn't a particularly difficult process though one or two of my 30 some odd titles have issues I'm still trying to get worked out as a result of the move. Fortunately, these titles only sell a few copies a year. I'd feel differently about the switch to KDP if it was one of my best selling books.

All of the create on demand services CreateSpace offered, POD for books, on demand for CDs and DVDs, is still available through other Amazon owned services.

The one change I do NOT like is I will now have to wait 60 days instead of 30 days to be paid for my POD sales. I really liked that feature of CreateSpace. 

It was inevitable and given the fact Amazon is focused on scale and streamlining to be more profitable, I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.

It was a good run while it lasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment